Subscribe to my full feed.
Home

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Margaret Cho from Burlesque to Boston

Margaret Cho
After more than 60 performances as a burlesque dancer in her critically acclaimed off-Broadway show, The Sensuous Woman, comedienne Margaret Cho is back on the road doing stand up comedy in a show called Beautiful.

"It was really exciting and fun to do The Sensuous Woman, but I am glad to say that I am now a retired burlesque dancer because I don't want to do it any more," she said. "I have these huge, horrible scars around my nipples and around my (pubic area) because I wore pasties and a prosthetic penis for 62 performances in a row and I had to use heavy-duty carpet tape to make them stick. So I salute the women of burlesque for what they go through, but I'm over it now."

For her current tour, Cho has joined forces with fellow comics Liam Sullivan and Kelly to put together a multi-media show that encompasses, music, stand-up comedy and video. The comedy, she said, will be a mix of topical humor, much of it stemming from her blog writing for The Huffington Report, CNN.com and on her own website (margaretcho.com) and more stories about her fans' favorite topic, her family.

"I really enjoy reading blogs because I think it's the best way to sty informed about news and gossip, so naturally I wanted to write and contribute to some degree by doing my own," she said. "It's a great way to connect with people and it really helps me write jokes, too. The first place jokes get told is in blog format. It's a good way to work it all out."

This summer, Cho, who starred in the short-lived ABC sitcom All-American Girl in 1994, will be back on television with a new series on VH1.

"It's a reality show that follows me and my family around, which is very cool. My mom very excited about that," she said. "I got to bring the first Asian American family to television 14 years ago now I'm actually bringing the second Asian American family to television.

"I am number one and number two."

No comments: