Subscribe to my full feed.
Home

Friday, April 4, 2008

11 Questions With Dita Von Teese

DITA VON TEESE pic
Q-1:What made you want to do your own line of signature stockings, your Secrets In Lace Dita Collection?

I have been obsessed with seamed stockings my whole life, and I would collect vintage ones that were made in the '40s and '50s with the authentic styling of the keyhole,
the welt, the reinforced toe and heels, French or Cuban heels, and hand-stitched seams. I can't stand faux-seamed stockings with lycra -- you lose the sensual feeling of the fabric. So, I began shopping with Secrets In Lace, and together we made the ultimate fancy-styled seamed stocking.

Q-2:You’ve posed for a lot of beautiful, fashionable, sophisticated magazines… which shoot was your favorite, and why?

I enjoyed shooting for Flaunt Magazine. My first shoot with them took me to Paris and into the Jean Paul Gaultier couture archives to choose my favorite looks, and the second shoot had me posing nude with Scarlett Johansson nibbling on my ear.

Q-3:Who are your all-time role models? Who do you admire today?

As far as all-time role models, I have been a fan of Betty Grable, Rita Hayworth, Marlene Dietrich, and Marilyn Monroe since I was a little girl. I admire women who are elegant and glamorous, women like Elizabeth Taylor, Sophia Loren and Madonna, because she knows how to be risque, powerful, stylish, and glamorous all at once.

Q-4:What traits in a man are important to you?

It depends on what kind of man I am looking for at the time... right now, I'm only interested in dating, so chemistry is all I look for. But if I were looking for a relationship, I would choose someone who is not a slave to drugs and alcohol, and someone who has compassion, integrity and is honest.

Q-5:Is it your opinion that women are attracted to men who project a particular “bad boy” image?

I suppose women are attracted to the bad-boy image sometimes because it's fun to have an adventure. It's like eating junk food... it's fun at the time, but ultimately not the best choice.

Q-6:How did you come to be the new ambassador for Cointreau?


They asked me, and after learning about the history of this French brand and hearing their ideas, I accepted. I always knew it would be perfect to pair with a liquor brand because I'm famous for bathing in a cocktail glass, but I wanted it to be a chic and sophisticated brand that sees things the way I do. Cointreau has a great history and definitely knows how to project an elegant image.

Q-7:You know that you made AskMen.com’s Top 99 Most Desirable Women of 2008… how does it feel to make the list? What do you think of lists like this that rate women based on sex appeal and desirability?

I didn't know that, but I think that for the most part, these lists can't be so accurate. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I hope AskMen.com had all kinds of beauty represented. But it is nice to be included [in AskMen.com's Top 99] -- quite flattering.

Q-8:Your cocktail glass show, your traditional feather fan dance, The Bird of Paradise, The Black Swan -- how do you come up with such varied, visually stunning, exciting shows?


I try to come up with ideas that are very glamorous and over-the-top, sexy, humorous, and above all, things that suit my character.

Q-9:Is there anything that is "off limits"?

For a show? Well, no religious imagery in my shows... and I make every attempt to keep from being offensive in a political way. But I was once accused of promoting the war by wearing a pink cowgirl costume and riding a bucking, spinning MAC Viva Glam lipstick. The “Lipteese” performance was created to promote the sale of the lipstick, which has made 100 million dollars for people with HIV. But still someone said it was like I was a cowboy, like President Bush, and that I was really riding a bomb. Ridiculous!

Q-10:What projects do you have planned for 2008?

My lingerie collection with Wonderbra will be launched in the fall, and I am writing my new book, which is a how-to beauty book. And I'm making lots of new shows!

Q-11:Can you tell us a bit about your performance and what it meant to perform at The Crazy Horse?

To perform at The Crazy Horse was something I never thought could happen. I had been reading about the iconic place since I was a teenager! I had seen the show on every trip I have taken to Paris... so to be the first guest star ever in its 58-year run was a great honor! I am working on a new number to debut in Paris and also the MGM Grand Crazy Horse Paris for early this summer. I really enjoy being backstage with the best showgirls in the world. I don't get to perform often with other dancers, certainly not of their caliber, so it's a dream!

No comments: