Subscribe to my full feed.
Home

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Burlesque Magazine and Interview with the editor / photographer

The burlesque scene has its very own print magazine thanks to Dale "Black Dahlia" Rio, Shimmy Magazine's co-owner/editor and photographer (recently relocated to Seattle). She has been photographing burlesque for about five years. A little over a year ago she began editing and publishing Shimmy Magazine, the only print magazine devoted to burlesque. I know how hard it is to not only get a project like that off the ground, but to keep it going for any amount of time, and I'm thrilled to hear that Shimmy has come out in a larger format and is now being distributed in bookstores! She interviewed me for Shimmy and now...well, turnabout is foreplay.



What does burlesque mean to you?

Burlesque, to me, is a process. It starts the moment you're struck with inspiration and continues through to the act of performing and fine-tuning your number. Each stage of the process, from selecting music to choreographing to costume-making, is creative and challenging, and that's what I like most about burlesque.

What is one of your favorite experiences so far?

Gosh, that's a tough one. Every time I attend Miss Exotic World, or Tease-o-rama, or the New York Burlesque Fest, there are so many amazing performers that it's absolutely mind-blowing and so inspirational. I like getting the chance to get to know some of the performers through photographing and interviewing them. I've made some friends along the way and have also had some preconceptions shattered.

You can read the complete interview here

No comments: